Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Hey Folks! Boy does the week fly by fast! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. People here don't celebrate that holiday, but our group did anyway and we invited our host families over dinner! It was really nice, and our guys on the trip made the turkey all by themselves! How awesome is that?!
Well, last week after my birthday post, I got really sick with a cold/flu. I'm slowly getting better, and I missed a day and a half of school because my voice was shot, but I rehabilitated in Placencia on Saturday and Sunday by laying on the beach with my friends. No crazy adventures (other than eating the most amazing gelatto in the world. Twice.)
I get observed again next Tuesday by the supervisor down here. My class is going okay. They were tested yesterday and they will test more today. I had some kids who got into a bit of trouble for harassing me and my friend Yuki--I don't know what got into these kids, but they started stoning my classroom and yelling "We're gonna lash you, Miss Haley," and then they laugh in fits of hysterics. These kids come from a family of fifteen, they live with their grandparents, and they never see their parents. I feel horrible for them, but at the same time, I'm pretty sure that the root of their bad behavior is the lack of supervision going on at that house.
I like my class best when the students are doing learning centers. I don't have to say "Be quiet!" or "Raise your hand." They go right to it, working independently or in groups. It's truly magic--they are learning and having fun.
Only three more weeks left! Oof-da! Going to catch my 6am bus now. Hopefully a crazy thing will happen and I will write again! Love you and miss you!

3 comments:

  1. never heard of gelatto googled it for receipe
    says it is an italian dish correct??
    the time will fly by anxious to see you,
    know your kids will miss Miss Haley to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love gelatto. Twice in one day, you lucky girl. Well that is not pleasant to have the kids do that. I'm sure that made for not a fun day.
    Glad everything is going well. Being sick away from home is never fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley, I got myself caught up on belize and you, and you had me laughing out loud, crying at some of your storys! God Bless you and i cant wait to see your face soon! love you much,
    brit

    ReplyDelete